2022/2023 TRAINING AND TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
Hiring Clinic – Required for all applicants
- All candidates should submit an application in person at the Logan office or by email to email@example.com between October 15th and October 31st. Application link below.
- Classroom sessions: (held in HPER building) 7 pm - 9 pm on November 2, November 9, November 16. A take-home test will be given after the third class. The test should be completed by November 30th. Topics include: safety, skiing/riding technique, beginner teaching sequences, movement analysis, class handling, learning styles, terminology and instruction of children, and general people skills.
- All information cannot be covered in detail in the classroom. Assigned material must be studied beyond classroom time.
- Training on-snow will start as soon as conditions permit. Candidates will be taught riding skills, assessment of students, lesson plan construction and how to guide a student through the learning experience. New instructors will also be required to shadow four lessons before teaching.
- December is our busiest time of the year. New instructors should not be gone through the entire Christmas period although a short absence is permitted.
- Minimum of 2 days per week. 8:30 am – 4 pm or equivalent in half days 8:30 – 12:30 or 12 – 4. It is preferable that one of the days is a Saturday or Sunday. Your availability may influence selection of instructors and you will be expected to honor your commitment.
- Minimum of 2 nights per month 5 pm - 9 pm. (You may not be needed this often.)
- All instructors teach adults and children in both private and group settings.
- Instructors should be available all holidays during the season including Christmas week, USU spring break, Presidents’ Day and Civil Rights Day. If an instructor needs to be absent on their day, they must find a substitute. This includes USU Spring Break.
- A uniform jacket is supplied. The jacket must be worn while teaching and free skiing on your scheduled days. In the first year of employment, instructors will not be charged a deposit for the jacket, but will receive $50 when it is returned, clean, so long as they keep teaching until mid-March.
- Black ski pants are required but not provided.
- Instructors must have contemporary skis, board, boots, poles, etc.
- Instructors are required to attend 6 clinics every month. Clinics meet at 9 am every day or as time is available.
- Instructors are required to teach all ages both in group and private lessons.
- Commission is earned for each lesson taught.
- Instructors may free ski when they are not teaching. An employee pass must be worn.
- One day pass is awarded at the beginning of each month (Jan, Feb, Mar) as well as for every $300 of commission earned.
- Instructors have the opportunity to certify through AASI and PSIA, which is recognized at all resorts located in the USA and most resorts throughout the world.
- Some resorts offer discounts to Beaver employees and/or to PSIA/AASI certified instructors.
- Current PSIA/AASI members receive a bonus of 3, 4 or 5% of earned commission.
- Discounts on equipment are available to PSIA/AASI members from some manufacturers.
- Training is available to improve personal skiing, riding and teaching ability.
- End-of-season bonus of $1 per hour spent teaching through end of contract.