Thanks to Harold and Luella Seeholzer (and later their children), Beaver Mountain Ski Area has become a legend in family corporation and is one of the fine small ski areas in Northern Utah.
Harold Seeholzer (pictured to the left) loved skiing, loved the out-of-doors, and loved the snow. He and his wife Luella wanted to make a fun recreational place for their family to spend time in the winters. Little did he know that his desire for recreation would be such a landmark in Cache Valley now. He was a lather by trade, and Luella worked in a ladies clothing store to finance their dream.
The Logan Canyon road was opened to year-round traffic in 1939. During this time, Logan City owned a cable tow at the present site of Beaver Mountain.
It was not a successful operation for various reasons. The motor was at the top of the mountain and so every morning someone had to hike up to start it. There was no road into Beaver and skiers had to walk in from the highway. Because of the difficulties and inconvenience at Beaver Mountain, the ski operation was moved to the "Sinks" which is located a few miles farther up Logan Canyon.
In 1945, the tow operation at the "Sinks" was disposed of. Proposals were invited to take over the operation. Harold Seeholzer's proposal was accepted. In 1947 Tony Grove and again Beaver Mountain were considered as future ski area sites. Beaver Mountain was chosen, even though everyone concerned was aware of the problems ahead of them. Water and roads were needed badly, and no money was available. Through the efforts of El Ray Robinson, county commissioner, and others, the roads and water were obtained. Through financial and moral pledges made by the Mt. Logan Ski Club, the Forest Service, and Cache Chamber of Commerce and a monetary pledge by Harold and Luella Seeholzer, plans went into operation for the new rope tow and T-bar at Beaver Mountain.
In 1949, a 1,000 foot rope tow was put into operation for the public. There was also a warming lodge, which is still in use as the ticket office. In the Spring of 1950, a 2,700 foot T-bar was ordered, installed, and remained in operation from the winter of 1950-51 through 1960.
In 1961, Harold and Luella Seeholzer called their family together and formed a corporation, with them at the head. The corporation included two sons, Loyal and Ted, and two daughters, Dixie and Nancy. The Beaver Face Lift was installed the same year.
These same wheels of progress turned again the summer of 1967. A Poma Lift (platter-type lift) was installed. Its purpose was to share the ever growing responsibility for beginner skiers. It was a single-ride installation, traveling almost twice as fast as the double chair. The capacity was 600 skiers per hour bringing area capacity to 2,400 per hour. It opened five new trails.
Harold Seeholzer, the father and founder of Beaver Mountain, lost a courageous bout with cancer in April of 1968. Beaver Mountain and the surrounding area sorely missed his presence. His lifetime dream during his half a century of skiing was to put a double chair lift from the bottom to the very top of Beaver Mountain. This dream was fulfilled by his family. "Harry's Dream", a most fitting and appropriate name for the lift, was started in the spring of 1969 and was first opened to the public on January 31, 1970. It is a 4,600 foot double chair lift with 137 chairs and a capacity of 900 per hour. Nearly 50 acres of runs were cleared for use from the new lift. The runs having a length of over two miles.
Beaver Mountain has progressed much in all the years and has been and is still completely family owned. With the passing of his father, Ted Seeholzer, Harold's second son, became the General Manager of Beaver Mountain. Ted's wife, Marge, worked in the ticket office full time and handled all ticket sales. Loyal, Ted's brother, contributed all his spare time and effort to the cause. He was responsible for bookkeeping and payroll, and was the president of the family corporation. Elaine, Loyal's wife, kept the ski report current and worked part time in the ski shop. Dixie, Ted's sister, and her husband Reed Schiffman, worked in the ski shop, along with Nancy Lauritzen, Harold's youngest daughter.
The summer of 1997 brought big changes to Beaver Mountain. The ski area was sold to Ted and Marge Seeholzer as sole owners of the company with hopes and plans to bring daughter Annette West and husband Jeff, sons Travis and Corey, and Travis' wife Kristy into the operation.
Ted does everything from go with the early crew at 5 a.m. every morning to the mountain to sell hamburgers or ski tickets, whichever needs him most. He is over all the employees and has the last say on the volunteer ski patrol of over 85 people and a ski school of about 60 people. He cleans toilets and unplugs them; he plows parking lots and grooms snow. He also personally oversees every check written out and signs them.
Marge works very closely with him. She manages the ticket office and is in charge of all ticket sales. She also makes marketing decisions and does all advertising and ski reports. She is in charge of keeping the downtown office going although she is at the mountain most of the time. We have two or three secretaries in the downtown office. Travis and Corey, run the night ski business. There are two-way radios at the mountain, the down town office, as well as at the home of Marge & Ted. Phone lines were brought to the mountain in the summer of 1999 but the radio remains the main communication source for the mountain. Son-in-law, Jeff West, is the Hill Manager and does every single job at the resort. He keeps everything and everyone going.
Midway through the 1998 ski season, the boss finally decided it was a good idea to let snow boards on Little Beaver, day and night, and the first Boarder-Cross Race was held on Little Beaver. This has become an annual traditional along with skier crosses and the Big Air contest held on closing day of the season.