Thanks to Harold and Luella Seeholzer (and later their children), Beaver Mountain Ski Area has become a legend in family corporation and is one of the fine small ski areas in Northern Utah.
Harold Seeholzer (pictured to the left) loved skiing, loved the out-of-doors, and loved the snow. He and his wife Luella wanted to make a fun recreational place for their family to spend time in the winters. Little did he know that his desire for recreation would be such a landmark in Cache Valley now. He was a lather by trade, and Luella worked in a ladies clothing store to finance their dream.
The Logan Canyon road was opened to year-round traffic in 1939. During this time, Logan City owned a cable tow at the present site of Beaver Mountain.
It was not a successful operation for various reasons. The motor was at the top of the mountain and so every morning someone had to hike up to start it. There was no road into Beaver and skiers had to walk in from the highway. Because of the difficulties and inconvenience at Beaver Mountain, the ski operation was moved to the "Sinks" which is located a few miles farther up Logan Canyon.
In 1945, the tow operation at the "Sinks" was disposed of. Proposals were invited to take over the operation. Harold Seeholzer's proposal was accepted. In 1947 Tony Grove and again Beaver Mountain were considered as future ski area sites. Beaver Mountain was chosen, even though everyone concerned was aware of the problems ahead of them. Water and roads were needed badly, and no money was available. Through the efforts of El Ray Robinson, county commissioner, and others, the roads and water were obtained. Through financial and moral pledges made by the Mt. Logan Ski Club, the Forest Service, and Cache Chamber of Commerce and a monetary pledge by Harold and Luella Seeholzer, plans went into operation for the new rope tow and T-bar at Beaver Mountain.
In 1949, a 1,000 foot rope tow was put into operation for the public. There was also a warming lodge, which is still in use as the ticket office. In the Spring of 1950, a 2,700 foot T-bar was ordered, installed, and remained in operation from the winter of 1950-51 through 1960.
In 1961, Harold and Luella Seeholzer called their family together and formed a corporation, with them at the head. The corporation included two sons, Loyal and Ted, and two daughters, Dixie and Nancy. The Beaver Face Lift was installed the same year.
These same wheels of progress turned again the summer of 1967. A Poma Lift (platter-type lift) was installed. Its purpose was to share the ever growing responsibility for beginner skiers. It was a single-ride installation, traveling almost twice as fast as the double chair. The capacity was 600 skiers per hour bringing area capacity to 2,400 per hour. It opened five new trails.
Harold Seeholzer, the father and founder of Beaver Mountain, lost a courageous bout with cancer in April of 1968. Beaver Mountain and the surrounding area sorely missed his presence. His lifetime dream during his half a century of skiing was to put a double chair lift from the bottom to the very top of Beaver Mountain. This dream was fulfilled by his family. "Harry's Dream", a most fitting and appropriate name for the lift, was started in the spring of 1969 and was first opened to the public on January 31, 1970. It was a 4,600 foot double chair lift with 137 chairs and a capacity of 900 per hour. Nearly 50 acres of runs were cleared for use from the new lift. The runs having a length of over two miles.
Beaver Mountain has progressed much in all the years and has been and is still completely family owned. With the passing of his father, Ted Seeholzer, Harold's second son, became the General Manager of Beaver Mountain. Ted's wife, Marge, worked in the ticket office full time and handled all ticket sales. Loyal, Ted's brother, contributed all his spare time and effort to the cause. He was responsible for bookkeeping and payroll, and was the president of the family corporation. Elaine, Loyal's wife, kept the ski report current and worked part time in the ski shop. Dixie, Ted's sister, and her husband Reed Schiffman, worked in the ski shop, along with Nancy Lauritzen, Harold's youngest daughter.
The summer of 1997 brought big changes to Beaver Mountain. The ski area was sold to Ted and Marge Seeholzer as sole owners of the company with hopes and plans to bring daughter Annette West and husband Jeff, son Travis and his wife Kristy into the operation.
Ted continued his role as President and General Manager of the ski area. There were many improvements to the resort during this time. In 2003 Marge's Triple lift was installed in the Long Hollow area north of the existing ski area boundary. It opened up several hundred additional skiable acres of new terrain as well as increasing uphill capacity and reducing lift lines. Marge's Triple was the first lift at Beaver that you had to ski to the base. It's accessed from the Harry's Dream lift. Harry's Dream lift was upgraded to a Triple Chair in 2006 increasing its uphill capacity to 1400 skiers an hour. The Little Beaver lift was replaced with a triple chair in 2011. The new installation changed the line of the lift and lowered the bottom terminal several hundred feet for increased vertical and access to additional runs. Little Beaver has lights for night skiing as well.
May of 2013 brought an end of an era at Beaver Mountain. Ted Seeholzer passed away at 81 years old. As you can see by all the great improvements to the resort Ted was not one to sit idle. His stamp was and still is on everything we do at Beaver Mountain. He did every job at the mountain and took great joy in seeing skiers and riders pick up the love for skiing. Thanks for a Great Ride Ted.
Marge worked side by side with Ted through all their years together. She continues in her role as President of the company and as Ted always referred to her "the true boss". Marge still works more hours than anyone and loves to say hi and keep in touch with all our guests. She always says we are a little closer to heaven up here at Beaver Mountain. She sells tickets at the mountain and takes "roll" to see who is here. Beaver Mountain is celebrating its 75th anniversary this year. It's possibly the longest family owned ski area in the country. Here's to many more wonderful years at the "Beav".